The Department of Health has confirmed the first case of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) in South Africa. There is a strong likelihood that there will be other cases of Covid-19 across the country. Naturally, employers will need to bear in mind various employment and health & safety considerations to manage the risk of Covid-19 in the workplace.
This article identifies the key legal considerations from an employment and health & safety perspective and provides advice on practical steps employers can take to safeguard employees. Please note that given the constant development of Covid-19, the answers to the questions detailed below will also develop.
- The impact of stress-related illnesses and psychological issues in the workplace
- Paternity leave implementation date is imminent – Are you ready
Labour Law articles on GoLegal
- Coronavirus: Occupational Health and Safety Alert – South Africa
- Private prosecutions following mine fatalities – Legal appointees beware
- Parental leave benefits finally introduced
- Individual employees cannot rely on section 187(1)(c) of the LRA to claim that their dismissals are automatically unfair